The Recent suspension of Rajasthan Royals and Chennai Super Kings from the world’s richest cricket league “Indian Premiere League” due to betting charges on the team owners and spot-fixing charges on the team players results in the smashed hopes of the remainder of the cricketers from the squad.
Betting is somewhere natural; Human are curious about all inconsistent things and that sensation of predicting things and getting overcome as per your prediction is such a thing to brag and when it comes to money it becomes an addictive game.
According to the scientific research report released in Chicago during the year 1996, gambling is a genetic disorder when you start betting compulsively, the gene is called as a D – receptor that can be stimulated by alcohol, drugs, sex, food or gambling, this gene inclines them to addictive behavior. Aside from these environmental factors and psychological traits play a major part.
Very less number of the population is in compulsive gambling though there is a big segment of sports fan those are involved in betting and online betting as there are no laws to prove online betting illegal. Crime, spot-fixing and corruption are some of the major adversities come along with illegal betting. India needs specific online gambling laws or needs to develop state authority law or acts in terms of giving betting a certain direction.
Why the Government should legalize betting?
- Regulation of betting under government laws and management can offer a profound amount of revenue to the government and can play a major role in the evolution of the economic organization. According to the recent article in THE HINDU, “Only cricket betting alone is worth close to Rs.5000 crore annually in India”. Some share of taxation in this amount can provide a great sum of money to develop basic sports infrastructure and help to furnish at least basic services to sportspersons those who are from a weak economic background.
- International online bookmakers are generating money through Indian betters and most of that money is black money.
- If the government makes strict rules to regulate this system, it can emerge into a whole new industry by major growth in the economy through the participation of foreign gamblers.
- Regulation of betting under government laws and management can provide a large amount of revenue to the government and can play a major role in the growth of the economy.
Present Laws and regulations on Betting and Gambling:
The Public Gambling Act of 1867
- This 148 yr old law made during British rule is one of the most inactive law which makes operating gambling house, assisting in the functioning of a gambling house, travelling to a gambling house, financial gambling and being in possession of gambling devices is a crime.
It also states “nothing in this Act shall apply to games of mere skill wherever played “
In the 1957 Horse race betting was declared as a skill and during 1968 Rummy was also defined as skill.
Constitution of India says that States have an authority to make policies and laws for gambling and betting. In Sikkim, the Government of Sikkim “Finance, revenue and Expenditure Department” passed a memorandum called Sikkim Online Gaming Rules, 2009 for regulating online gambling and licensing within Sikkim. Goa is another state owns legal casinos and lottery.
Thither is a lack of legal philosophies and ordinances and government merely wants to deflect the issue coming out with hurricane velocity inside the layers of sports broadcasting.
One of the most watched sports league is tainted with allegations and it is a favorite sports league for gamblers and bookmakers, through online betting sites people can bet upon each and every specific match of the IPL and it’s not illegal and nobody is regulating it.
The conclusion says India should at least give it a shot by regulating this industry properly with strict laws and embracing it with lucrative results or should make strict rules to ban betting completely :p but regulation is necessary.
Comments via Facebook
Latest posts by Ekta Khangawal (see all)
- Legal History and Emergence of Boxing – PART 1 - June 22, 2017
- Australia and India come together to make India a sporting nation - June 20, 2017
- CORRELATION BETWEEN SPORTS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY - June 19, 2017